Customer service excellence has always been and will always be one of the critical competitive advantages for any business. It’s an intangible quality that sets your business apart from another. A widely quoted statistic gets to the heart of the value proposition behind customer service: The cost of acquiring a new customer is five times that of retaining an existing one. For businesses that succeed by forming a bond with the customer, the disparity is even greater.
“The goal of every company is to have customer service that is not just the best but legendary.”
~ Sam Walton
If your service is poor, regardless of price, you will lose customers. Follow these seven universal tips to effectively enhance the customer experience.
- Welcome Your Customers – Greet with a warm, sincere welcome; “Good Morning”, “Welcome”, “Thanks for stopping by” are all simple introductions and you can follow up with “How can I help?”
- Smile – This is the most simple, powerful tip. Smiling helps the customer/client feel at ease, which sets the scene for a more positive interaction.
- Listen – Listen carefully to your customer’s needs, empathize and find the best solutions. By not listening to the customer, you can potentially frustrate them and lose a sale or repeat business.
- Be the Expert – Know more about the business than your customer. If you’re unsure of the answer to a question then say so, never lie or make up an answer. If possible find somebody who does know the answer or get back to them as soon as possible with the answer. Don’t be afraid to ask the customer/client questions to provide you with a better understanding of their needs.
- Be Considerate of Your Customer’s Time – Time is precious. Serve your customers in a speedy, efficient manner.
- Language Matters – Language is an important part of persuasion, and customers create perceptions about you and your company based on the language you use. For example:A customer has an interest in a particular item, but that item is backordered until next month. Utilizing “positive language” can greatly affect how the customer hears your response.
- Go Beyond the Call of Duty – Doing more than the customer expects will result in great solutions and loyal customers.
Contact Polished today to discuss your executive development needs or to learn more about our customer service and communications programs. Helping good leaders become better is the most valuable investment a business can make. There is no other investment that creates a greater return.