Have you ever wondered why it seems so difficult to talk to some people and so easy to talk to others? Can you recall an occasion where you met someone for the first time and immediately liked that person? You struck up a conversation and made an immediate connection. Something about the individual made you feel comfortable and content. It’s a good feeling, right?
Showing respect and valuing that other person is what it takes to effectively communicate and develop positive relationships. And it’s not that difficult. Add these ten winning techniques to your everyday communications. Not only will you feel good, you’ll shine with poise and confidence – key character traits of success.
- Be Cordial – There is nothing as warm as a cheerful greeting – to anyone.
- Smile – It takes 72 muscles to frown, but only 14 to smile – plus smiling is contagious!
- Call People by Their Name – The sweetest music to anyone’s ears is the sound of their own name, and it’s a great way to help remember their name.
- Be Friendly and Helpful – To make a friend, you have to be a friend.
- Listen – Close your mind to clutter and make eye contact. Give them your undivided attention (that also means no interrupting).
- Show Genuine Interest in People – You can find things to like in almost anybody if you try.
- Be Generous with Praise – and cautious with criticism.
- Be Considerate of the feelings of others. There are usually three sides to a controversy: yours, the other person’s and the truth.
- Pay It Forward – What counts most in life is what we do for others.
- Practice Your Positive Sense of Humor – the kind that’s about telling funny stories about yourself, not of other people.
Contact Polished today to help fine-tune your communication skills, build credibility and enhance success.